Cherished poet, broadcaster, musician and all round legend Alicia Sometimes join us in the studio as a very special guest. Alicia creates More Than A Whelan history by being the first guest to write a poem from creative prompts right there in the studio before our very eyes. Alicia also steps up to the More Than A Whelan challenge on a grand scale by writing a whole bunch of poems all inspired by our listener supplied creative prompts.
Particle/Wave is an upcoming show at the Melbourne Festival that Alicia is directing. She gives us an insight in the show and its myriad of artists involved and talks about just why science and poetry make such good friends together and what precisely is it that sustains the mind and heart of Alicia Sometimes. Tickets and more info for Particle/Wave is available right here. Show runs from 6th to the 13th October.
Liner Notes Live is a literary cabaret event coming up very soon at the Melbourne Writers Festival which Sean is co-producing and performing in. The event is a kind of tribute to Nirvana's Nevermind album and features incredible guests such as Matt Preston (Masterchef), Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes) Angie Hart (our previous guest on MTAW), Andy Griffiths and many more. Grab your tickets here right now or run the very real risk of missing out.
Sean opens up the show with a poem called Pink and Slow and Gone. A piece originally written to the theme of 'Static.' The poem was written for a poetry/theatre show in which Sean performed with Alicia Sometimes and Nathan Curnow. The show was directed by Kieran Carroll.
- 'Shout out to the Blood Moon' (not actual title, Alicia didn't give it one.) - Inspired by Dominic's 'Intermittent Sun' prompt.
- 'A Box of Bananas are Slowing Dying Outside a Fruit Shop' - titled by Sean, inspired by Cameron Semmens prompt of 'A sharp knife in an empty room.
- 'When You've Decided To Be Friends and You Want To Make Sure Something Sexy Won't Happen' inspired by Flick's prompt of 'social anxiety.'
- 'Melbourne Autumn' - Inspired by the prompt of 'Heaters on High' by Stefanie Robinson.
- 'Pavillion of Heavenly Idleness' - inspired by the prompt of the same name by Cameron Semmens.
- 'The Space Between the Leopard Spots.' Titled by Sean and inspired by prompts given to Alicia by Sean on the spot! The prompts were record player, frog and ashtray.
Sean's poem 'Breasts and Swear Words, Nailed It' was titled by Alicia and inspired by the prompts 'Ben & Jerry's' by Matt, 'Unicorns' by Natalie, 'B' by Ramona, 'Bespectacled and Blasphemous - Tom Dockray, 'Intermitten Sun - Dom, 'Question' - by Jennifer Paulette, 'Boobs' - Heide, 'Pavillion of Heavenly Idleness' - by Cameron Semmens, 'Botulism' by Jenny O'Keefe, 'Borderline' by Flick.
For the Whelan & Stealin' segment Alicia read 'Campaign Instructions' by Fase Wickey. and Sean read 'Star Hole' by Richard Brautigan.
Make sure you check out The Outer Sanctum podcast co-hosted by Alicia Sometimes and one of the best AFL/AFLW themed podcasts you will ever hear.